"I can make people trust me."

Dreamed on 2015.07.07.0825

First of all, I'm very smart," said the little girl. "I know more than most people. I can also use my skill with words to convince people to do whatever I want them to."

"Sure," said the criminal. "But how does that help me?"

"You want to get certified for jobs to better take people by surprise? I could pass the tests. Get caught in a tight place? I can make people trust me."

"And all I have to do is make sure you don't starve?"

"Precisely." The young girl looked up at him trustingly. "And I'll eat pretty much anything. You can feed me easily."

"It's a deal. We can join up," the criminal said. "So how do we get out of prison?"

"The same way I got in. Follow me."

Perhaps he meant to help her and perhaps he meant to leave her behind. It can be hard to know. The hole was, of course, hidden behind some bit of furniture or signage or poster. The tunnel twisted and turned through concrete and pipe and metal and, eventually, through rock and stalactite and damp slime.

"Okay," the girl said, "it narrows up ahead. I know I can make it, but you go first just to make sure you can. I don't want to leave you behind."

The criminal proceeded, at first at a crouch, then on his knees, then at last on his stomach. The chamber twisted and turned until it was directly above the one that the girl waited in. At last he became stuck. When he was about to call out to ask her to dig around him or pull him backwards, the criminal felt two strong feelings as two spikes -- or spines -- pierced his lungs from the floor beneath him. A rock fell away where his face was, and he saw the young girl looking up at him. She licked her lips and smiled, and he saw how sharp her teeth were.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Save this whereout she crushes / For dead men deadly wine."

Agnostic Dog Slugs and an Idiot King

neither rocks nor blue water