"Save this whereout she crushes / For dead men deadly wine."

Dreamed on 2014.10.11.0828

Note: Play "sometimes our dreams float like anchors" by William Elliott Whitmore in the background (it was stuck in my head when I woke up).

At a large party with people. I have a friend/neighbor with me. Decide to go underwater for a bit and record a video (I have a new goPro that I want to play with -- it's a fingertip --about as thick as a finger print -- and it records whatever I'm pointing at. This works well, as my suit is also set to propel me by pointing with that same finger whenever I accelerate by a gesture with my other hand.

We cruise around for a while and find cool bubbles to film (note that our suits cover our face and let us breathe automatically, and this whole transition from air to water is second nature by now. Water can be scary because of the waves and forces that can move you suddenly, but air can be equally scary because you notice gravity more, you move slower, waves that manage to hit you in the air do more to you, and yeah. All that).

Anyway, we cruise around in the water that has filled up a field for a while. There's snow on the bottom of the lake that has tire tracks in it, and we talk about how interesting it is that this field wasn't underwater this morning but it's now about twenty feet under. The weather is rather volatile and water levels fluctuate a lot. This is a normal, of course, and part of why everyone always wears the suits (even in the air). There's a short distance radio function when you talk that transmits your message to anyone in a certain proximity -- you get more proximity with more noise, or by linking with specific suits like an old skype call used to do.

Find a floating table and a place where, if they hadn't run out of supplies, you could get free starbucks drinks. We play with the table and the stuff on it (which are set to neither sink nor float, but hover wherever you left them in the water) and laugh a bit.

After a time, we go deeper into a valley and check out the kids partying at their underwater concert. Lots of bubble art, which is fun to watch and film from above as they go past, with their rising and shifting spheres and colors. Eventually we notice strings of tiny orbs tucked behind many of the decorations. This bothers us, because we recognize them as explosives, though we're not sure how explosive they are. Quickly, we swim up, (the whole place is apparently a building now), make it through a hatch, and pop into a room in the air world. We've noticed more of these tiny orbs along the way.

We know it's coming -- people had talked about it and been afraid of it for a long time -- the environmental extremists.

The lights flicker, then a voice permeates each of our suits, though we cannot tell from where it is coming. It's a speech about humans and our errors and about our god and the environment. I don't actually listen, because my friend and I are trying to figure out where to go. How big of an explosion do they make? Should I lie on the floor? Dive back under water? I find an open space away from the walls and decorations, and I crouch down near the floor. Do other people know what's going to happen? Generally staying away from large crowds of people would be good, but there are people everywh-- [EVERYTHING ENDS AND IS BLACKNESS]


(Another chorus of "Sometimes our dreams they float like anchors through hopeless waters away down deep. Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep. And the hammer swings high, and it comes down hard. Drive another nail through my coffin lid. And as the days go by, if I can play my part, well I'll feel no remorse for what I did.")

Comments

  1. Duuuuuuude. This is an amazing little vignette. If you found an animator I think you could adapt this into a killer short film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah -- it was weird how vivid this one as. I took a little liberty with the music, but I DID wake up with that song in my head.

    I like the idea of seeing this animated.... hrmmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Agnostic Dog Slugs and an Idiot King

neither rocks nor blue water