"a lingering hunger"

Dreamed on 2016.12.28.0819

Epic battle for our combined nations is raging -- swords, fire storm, monsters, catapults, and all of it set in the ruins of an ancient labyrinthine castle half-excavated. The two other kings and I (and a servant) join up and plunge further into the ruins - we are driven and purposeful when a woman stops us. Safety, this way, she says. Logically, I say no. We are not here to find safety or to run from our troubles. But she offers safety once again and we accept even though it goes against our interests and makes no sense. When we each take her hand I feel mine burn as if I'm touching the flames of hell, but then of course, suddenly, I don't feel that because that wouldn't make any sense. I don't wonder how each of us has taken her hand.

She leads us deeper and deeper into the ruins, into places never before explored, away from the war, and we find the ruins give way to exceptional halls and she leads us ultimately to a banquet hall and gives us plates. We find that we are starving and that the plates hold the most marvellous looking food. We eat and are happy, though our hunger only increases. Not to worry -- as our hunger increases, so does the content on our plates -- re-filled as if by magic. It flickers for a moment and I see dust and poison, my other kings bloated and aging, but then all goes back to normal. We've only been there for 3 minutes, the food is wondrous, and of course we should keep eating. The servant of one of my neighbor kings speaks, "I am unsure what to do in this situation, sir." His king does not hear him, so I turn and offer him a plate. Uncertainly, he joins in. The mysterious woman is nowhere to be seen. My hand hurts for a moment. Something distresses me from the peripherals of my mind and I set my plate down.

Though the war was lost 300 years ago, a rag-tag group of survivors -- distant descendants of one of my neighbor kings -- sneaks through the rubble of the ruins and comes to the place where our sections is stuck in a bubble -- they can see these withered and bloated creatures eating merrily in slow motion, but they can't stop them or save them. The world about is in ruins -- in flames.

I wake up, scrawny and weak, with the skin burned off the palm of my right hand, but dressed and aged the same as when I entered. I speak to the men, who are in awe of me (and angry at me as well). They ask how to save (or kill) the other kings, how to end this embarrassing spectacle. The magic is beyond them -- was kings' knowledge, lost in a world without kings. I knew of it but had never really mastered it. I speak again, call people by the wrong name, and take in the fact that 300 years have passed -- ages and ages of lives haves passed -- in three minutes. I feel a lingering hunger.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Save this whereout she crushes / For dead men deadly wine."

Agnostic Dog Slugs and an Idiot King

neither rocks nor blue water